Due to the timing of Judge Skipper Koetter's retirement (see news stories below), precinct and county chairs in the 6 county region of the 267th Judicial District will have to gather to select a nominee to fill the post. The 6 counties included are: Calhoun, Dewitt, Goliad, Jackson, Refugio and Victoria. Listed here is information on the nomination process for filling the 267th District Judge vacancy.
Complete video of the Candidate Forum is included in The Victoria Advocate's coverage - watch here.
Candidates attending the forum agreed to a Loyalty Pledge.
FAQ - 267th District Judge Nomination Meeting
- Secretary - Jackie Gloor
- Timekeeper - Daphne Buelter
- Parliamentarian - Barbara Torgusen
- Sergeant at Arms - TBD
- Chair - Michael Cloud
- Nominating speeches will be limited to a total of 3 speeches with a cumulative time of to seven (7) minutes. The candidate may speak up to 3 minutes. Two (2) endorsement speeches may also be given with each endorser speaking up to 2 minutes each.
- After all speeches we will recess for 10 minutes.
- After each round of voting, candidates will be offered the opportunity to remove their name from consideration.
- After each 3 rounds of voting, a 10 minute recess will be taken.
- Nomination from the floor must be Seconded
- Draw straws for speaking order
- Nominating speeches (3 total speeches / 3 min for candidate, 2 min for endorser) for max total of 7 minutes
- see supplemental rules
- a 10 minute recess will be given following speeches before voting begins
- voting is by secret ballot
- vote announced and recorded
- candidates given opportunity to remove name from nomination after each vote
Related News Stories:
- 2016.05.24 - Victoria Advocate, Six talk about qualifications to be district judge
- 2016.04.19 - Victoria Advocate, Victoria GOP discusses judge nomination plan
- 2016.02.29 - Victoria Advocate, 5 area lawyers apply to be judge
- 2016.01.25 - Victoria Advocate, District judge to retire